Dealing with lingering odors from clothes can be quite a challenge, and one particularly pungent smell that can linger is the distinct onion smell. Whether you're chopping an onion in the kitchen or accidentally touch an onion while cooking, the smell sticks to your clothes and seems impossible to get rid of. Fortunately, there are several simple but effective ways to get rid of onion smell from clothes. In this guide, we'll explore five easy and sure-fire ways to get rid of onion smell and get your clothes fresh and odor-free again.
When it comes to getting rid of onion smell from your clothes, it's important to understand the science behind the smell. Onions contain sulfur compounds that are released when the vegetable is chopped or crushed. These compounds are volatile and easily penetrate the fibers of fabrics, creating a persistent, unpleasant odor. Traditional washing methods may not be enough to completely remove the onion smell and require additional steps to be effective. However, by following the tips outlined in this guide, you can effectively remove the onion smell and restore your clothes to their original freshness.
Onion smell coming from your clothes?
Yes, with proper care and the right technique, it is possible to successfully remove onion smell from clothes. The key is to deal with the odor immediately and use effective methods to remove the sulfur compounds that cause the aftertaste. While onion smells may linger, they aren't permanent, and there are a number of things you can do to ensure your clothes get fresh again.
The time it takes for the onion smell to completely dissipate from clothing can vary, depending on the strength of the smell and the specific method used to remove the odor. However, by following the recommended methods, you can significantly reduce and eventually eliminate onion smell from your clothes. It's important to note that the sooner you address and act on the odor, the easier it will be to remove it completely.
what to get rid of onion smell from clothes
To get rid of the onion smell from your clothes, try the following:
Baking soda is indeed a common household product that can help remove onion smell from clothes. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate has natural odor-absorbing properties that are effective at neutralizing unpleasant odors, including onion smell. Here's how to use baking soda to get the onion smell off your clothes:
- Prepare Baking Soda Paste: Mix a small amount of baking soda with water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected area: Dab baking soda paste onto areas of clothing that have come into contact with onions. Concentrate on areas like collars, cuffs, and underarms, as these tend to absorb more odor.
- let it sit: Leave the baking soda paste on the clothes for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. This gives the baking soda time to absorb the onion flavor.
- rinsing: After the specified time, rinse the laundry to remove the sodium bicarbonate paste. Then wash them as usual with your favorite laundry detergent.
Baking soda helps neutralize the smell by absorbing and trapping the sulfur compounds that cause the onion smell. It's a safe and effective way to get rid of laundry odors. However, keep in mind that for clothes that are highly saturated or have a strong onion smell, you may need to repeat the process or combine baking soda with other deodorizing techniques for best results.
Yes, vinegar is another household product that is effective in removing onion smell from clothes. Vinegar, especially distilled white vinegar, has natural deodorizing properties that help neutralize and eliminate odors. Here's how to use vinegar to remove onion smell from clothes:
- Prepare the Vinegar Solution: Mix equal parts water and distilled white vinegar in a bowl or basin. You can start with a 1:1 ratio and adjust the amount according to the amount of laundry you need to process.
- wet clothes: Soak clothes that smell like onions in a vinegar solution. Make sure that all affected areas are completely submerged in the solution. Let them soak for 30 minutes to an hour.
- rinsing: After the soaking time, remove the garment from the vinegar solution and rinse thoroughly with water to remove the vinegar smell. Proceed to wash them as usual with regular laundry detergent.
The vinegar works by breaking down and neutralizing the sulfur compounds that cause the onions to stink. It also has antimicrobial properties that can help eliminate any bacteria associated with the smell. It is important to note, however, that the vinegar smell itself may linger temporarily, but will dissipate once the clothes are completely dry. If you're concerned about the vinegar smell, adding a few drops of essential oil to the final rinse, or hanging the garment outside to air dry, can help eliminate any lingering odors.
While fabric softener is primarily used to make clothes softer and reduce static cling, it can also help mask or lighten onion smells on clothes. Here's how to get rid of onion smell with fabric softener:
- pretreat clothes: Before washing, pre-treat the areas of clothes that have absorbed onion odor. Apply a small amount of undiluted fabric softener directly to affected areas such as collars, cuffs, and underarms.
- let it sit: Let the fabric softener soak into the fabric for about 15 to 30 minutes. This gives it time to neutralize the onion flavor.
- wash as usual: After pretreatment, wash the garment in the washing machine with normal detergent. Add fabric softener to a fabric softener dispenser or during the rinse cycle, following the directions on the product label.
- dry clothes: After the wash cycle is complete, line dry the garment as usual, air dry or use a tumble dryer.
Fabric softener helps to add a pleasant scent to your clothes, which can help mask or reduce the onion smell. Additionally, fabric softeners often contain ingredients that help break down and neutralize odors. However, it's important to note that fabric softeners may not completely eliminate strong onion odors, especially if the clothes are heavily soaked. In these cases, fabric softener may need to be combined with other odor removal methods for the most effective results.
Using essential oils is another effective way to get rid of onion smell from clothes. Essential oils not only add a pleasant scent, but also have natural properties to neutralize odors. Here's how to use essential oils to get rid of onion smell from clothes:
- Choose the right essential oil: Choose essential oil with pleasant fragrance and can effectively mask or eliminate bad smell. Popular choices include lavender, lemon, tea tree, eucalyptus or mint. Make sure the essential oils are safe to use on fabrics.
- Create a dilute solution: Mix a few drops of the essential oil of your choice with water in a spray bottle or bowl. The exact ratio will vary depending on the desired intensity of fragrance, but a good starting point is about 10 to 15 drops of essential oil per glass of water.
- spray or wet clothing: Spray the diluted essential oil solution directly on the clothes, focusing on the places with onion smell. Alternatively, you can soak the garment in a tub of diluted solution for about 15 to 30 minutes.
- dry clothes: After spraying or wetting, let clothes air dry. Essential oils not only help to remove the onion smell but also leave a pleasant aroma on fabrics.
Essential oils work because of their natural fragrance properties and can be effective in masking or masking the smell of onions. Additionally, some essential oils, such as tea tree or eucalyptus, have antimicrobial properties that can help eliminate odor-related bacteria. However, it's important to be careful when using essential oils on fabrics, as some oils can stain or discolor. It is recommended to test the essential oil solution on a small, inconspicuous area of the fabric before applying it to the entire garment.
Using a specially formulated scented detergent to combat odors is a practical and convenient way to get rid of the onion smell from your clothes. These detergents are not only used to clean fabrics but also to neutralize and eliminate lingering odors. Here's how to remove onion smell from clothes using scented detergent:
- Choose a scented detergent: Look for detergents specifically labeled as having deodorizing properties. These detergents often contain enzymes or other ingredients that effectively break down and neutralize odors.
- Organize and prepare clothes: Separate clothes that smell like onion from other clothes. Check the care labels on your clothes to make sure they can be safely washed with scented detergent.
- Measure and add detergent: Follow the directions on the detergent bottle to determine the right amount for your filling. Add scented detergent to the washer along with onion-scented clothes.
- wash as directed: Set the washing machine to the water temperature and cycle suitable for the laundry. Turn on the washer and let it complete the cycle.
- dry clothes: After the wash cycle is complete, dry the garment according to the garment care instructions. You can air dry or use a dryer depending on the fabric and personal preference.
Scented detergents work by using specific ingredients to target and neutralize odor molecules, including those found in onions. They are formulated to leave a pleasant scent on clothes while effectively cleaning and removing odors. Using a scented detergent is a handy solution, especially if you regularly smell onions on your clothes. However, if the onion smell persists after washing, you may need to use a scented detergent in combination with other odor removal methods to ensure complete elimination.
How to get rid of onion smell from clothes?
To get the onion smell off your clothes, try the following:
- Pretreat the affected area: Apply a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water to onion-stained areas of clothing. Let it sit for a few minutes before washing.
- usesodium bicarbonate: Sprinkle baking soda directly on the onion stained area and let it sit for a while. Then do your laundry as usual.
- lemon juice: Squeeze fresh lemon juice on onion scented fabrics and soak for a few minutes before washing.
- deodorant spray: Use a commercial fabric deodorant spray specially formulated to eliminate odors. Follow product directions for best results.
Remember to always check the care label on clothing and follow the manufacturer's instructions before attempting any stain or odor removal method.
How to remove onion smell from clothes without washing?
If you need to get rid of onion smell from your clothes without washing them, here are a few things you can try:
- outside air: Hang clothes outside in a well-ventilated place, preferably in direct sunlight. Fresh air and sunlight help eliminate odors naturally. Leave the clothes outside for a few hours or until the onion smell subsides.
- odor absorber: Place odor absorbing material near clothes to help absorb onion smell. Options include activated charcoal, baking soda, or coffee grounds. Put the clothes in an airtight container or bag with an odor absorber and let it sit for a day or two. These materials help absorb odors without washing.
- vinegar spray: Fill a spray bottle with distilled white vinegar. Spray a fine mist of vinegar on areas of clothing that smell onion. Vinegar is known for its ability to neutralize odors. Allow the clothes to air dry and the vinegar smell will dissipate, as will the onion smell.
- freezing method: If the clothes are small enough, they can be packed in a sealed plastic bag and refrigerated overnight. Freezing helps eliminate odors, including onion. Then remove the clothes and let them thaw at room temperature. The onion flavor should be noticeably reduced.
- steam treatment: Drying clothes in a wet bathroom. Turn on the hot water in the shower and close the bathroom door to allow the steam to build up. Steaming can help get the onion smell off your clothes. Leave the clothes in the bathroom for about 30 minutes before taking them out.
Keep in mind that these methods will help reduce the onion smell, but may not eliminate it completely. Washing clothes with detergent is the most effective way to completely remove odors.
Can Lemons Remove Onion Smell?
Yes, lemons can help get the onion smell off your clothes. Lemons contain natural acids, mainly citric acid, which have deodorizing properties. The strong citrus scent of lemons can also help mask the unpleasant smell of onions. When applied to clothes, lemon juice can help break down the sulfur compounds that cause the onion smell, effectively reducing its strength.
Can Baking Soda Get Rid of Onion Smell?
Yes, baking soda is effective in removing onion odors. Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate has natural odor-absorbing properties that can help neutralize and eliminate unpleasant odors, including the lingering onion odor.
How to get rid of onion smell from hands?
To get the onion smell off your hands, try washing your hands with soap and cold water while rubbing your hands against a stainless steel object like a spoon or sink. Alternatively, you can rub your hands with lemon juice or vinegar, which can help neutralize the smell. Finally, applying a paste of baking soda and water to your hands and rinsing it off is also effective in removing onion smell.
How to Get Rid of Onion Smell From Your Body
If you smell onion on your body, first wash the affected area thoroughly with soap and water. For persistent odors, try rinsing the skin with a vinegar-water solution. Lemon juice is also effective in neutralizing the smell. After using these remedies, make sure to rinse and dry your body properly.
How to get rid of onion smell at home?
To get rid of the onion smell in your home, open windows and doors to let in fresh air. Use natural odor absorbers, like bowls of white vinegar, coffee grounds, or baking soda, strategically placed around the house. Boiling a pot of water with citrus zest or spices like cinnamon and cloves can help mask and eliminate odors. Wipe down surfaces, including countertops and cutting boards, with a vinegar and water mixture to remove lingering odors.